Abominations in Arizona
The Ericson Claim
The Ericson Claim is a 20 acre plot roughly 2 miles northwest of Flagstaff. The claim was purchased by James Ericson in 1851 with the intent to establish a moderate-sized gold mine. Initial surveys showed the land was likely to be rich. James and his wife died suddenly upon arriving at the claim and the deed briefly passed to his brother, Isaac. Isaac made an effort to begin a mine but found the initial survey was incorrect and the claim held a minuscule amount of gold. He abandoned the claim and returned to Denver.
The claim is mostly comprised of a large rocky hill covered in brush and pine. A small stream runs south down the middle of the claim. Near the stream and the top of the hill is the only structure on the claim, Eudora’s shack.